Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Listen To Your Quilt!

So I have my quilt on my frame.  I had originally planned to do a tight stipple on the applique vine blocks and a feather of some type on the stacked coins part.  But then I got nervous and decided to try doing a leafy vine treatment on each row/column of the quilt.

Bad idea.

DSC01240

Of course I did two rows before I decided I didn’t like it.  Also, the pattern width is the exact with of the opening of the throat on my sewing machine so it has to be lined up exactly AND as I roll the quilt, I will start to lose throat space.

So I decided to do what the quilt wanted in the first place:  a stipple outline on the applique row and some sort of feather on the stacked coins part.  I got this far this morning:

DSC01236

The quilting really pops out the vine which is what I wanted.  I am still nervous about doing the stacked coins part.  Following a pattern is difficult and I don’t want to screw it up.  But this quilt deserves more than just meandering.  And I really need to learn to do more.  Decisions, decisions!

P.S.  For more on this quilt look here and here

P.P.S.  Check out my daughter Adrienne!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt Diane. Can't wait to see it finished.