When was the last time you changed your needle in your sewing machine? If you can’t remember, DO IT NOW!!
Some of us change our needles when we start a new project; some of us have been told every 8 hours and some of us wait until our needles bend or break.
I am somewhat fanatical about changing my needle. I have spent (OK-let’s be truthful here- my wonderful husband has spent) mucho money on my machines, fabrics and sewing needs. I am not going to cheap out when needles are less than $1 each, even cheaper when the notions wall at you know where is 50% off.
So how often do I change my needle? I don’t have a hard and fast rule but here are some guidelines I follow:
- after I have emptied 2 bobbins if I am working on a large-ish project.
- if I am working on smaller projects or more than one project at a time, I change my needle after putting on a binding (I do both sides of the binding by machine, btw)
- starting a machine applique project
- starting a machine quilting project
- if I haven’t sewn in a while and cannot remember
- if I hit a pin while sewing (no, I do not always remember to remove my pins while sewing)
- if I hear “thunking” while sewing, I know I have waited way too long
So this is my first Tuesday Tip. I plan to update very soon (are you asking where I have been?) with my latest projects and family events.
Have a great week!