Monday, October 20, 2014

Starting Over

Sometimes when I am bored I hit the “Next Blog” button on my blog. It starts out with sewing blogs and then morphs into all types of different blogs, from poetry to foreign philosophers on motorcycles.

Sometimes I hit blogs that have not been updated in months and even years.  Some people say goodbye, some change formats and some people just stop posting. Did they get bored? Change life circumstances? Or, as some have told me, get a life?

No, I am not stopping.  As I have stated before, I like my blog. I look at it as a diary and as a way to watch my family grow.  I also enjoy looking at past projects.  I still surprise myself sometimes.

But I did lose interest for a while.  In fact I even lost all interest in sewing.  The thought of going into my sewing room just depressed me.

You see, my friend Mimi died in April. She and I did lots of sewing-and shopping together. We had a couple projects that we were completing together. We laughed and cried together.  I taught her about quilting, she taught me about the Civil War. When I hurt my back, she called me every day. She never came to visit me without a bunch of flowers.  I once mentioned I thought kitty clocks were cute. She got me one for Christmas. She was a wonderful friend.

DSC03925

Mimi and me at the beach in VA. Mimi loved the beach.

John, her husband, has asked me to finish a few of her quilts. As I work on them, I hear her talking to me. It has helped me to start sewing again.

A friend from high school has started a purse challenge on Facebook. I thought that the challenge might kick me back into gear. Here are the beginnings of my purse.  It combines a couple of my favorite things, Japanese fabrics and beading.  I found the inspiration in one of my Japanese craft books.

DSC04003DSC04004DSC04005

I will keep you posted on my project.  I am not going anywhere.

Diane

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Diane! Such a touching friendship! I remember awhile ago coming for a visit but hadn't really seen much activity. I am happy that you are back! Me too! Min feel the same way about my blog. I wish you lots of happy memories as you finish those quilts for your friend!

Marle said...

I have thinking about you and wondering what had happened to you. It´s very nice you are back again. Hope all good to you and a big hug.